House fire cases have increased, says PACDA
The Public Authority for Civil Defence and Ambulances (PACDA) has said that 387 fire incidents were reported in 2016 compared to 250 in 2015 and 218 in 2014.
A PACDA official said, “House fire cases were the highest compared to other fires due to expansion in urban areas.”
Talking about the common reasons for fire, he said, “Sub-standard wiring and keeping electrical appliances on for long hours lead to short circuits and fire. Irregular maintenance of electrical appliances and using unqualified technicians to repair them are also responsible for break outs.”
Listing the basic preventive measures to prevent fires, he said, “We urge people not to touch electrical appliances with wet hands and avail the service of qualified staff to repair appliances. One should also always use quality electrical equipment.” Electrical appliances should be switched off immediately after use and serviced regularly. “Smoke detectors too are highly recommended,” he added.